- Facebook has become the latest technology company to dig into Montreal’s burgeoning artificial intelligence sector, announcing the opening of a research lab in the city Friday.
- “For many years, I’ve seen a steady stream of talented AI researchers … leaving my lab but also leaving our country,” Pineau told dignitaries, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
- That would put it on par with three other Facebook hubs currently based in New York City, Paris and Menlo Park, Calif., and serve as recognition that Montreal has quickly developed a concentration of expertise in the area of artificial intelligence.
- Apart from the lab, Facebook said it intends to invest $7 million in the city’s AI community to fund research and students.
- Yoshua Bengio, a computer science professor at Université de Montréal and an AI researcher, says Facebook is not just applying artificial intelligence, but is also creating new science.
Facebook has become the latest technology company to dig into Montreal’s burgeoning artificial intelligence sector, announcing the opening of a research lab in the city Friday.
Continue reading “Facebook launches artificial intelligence research lab in Montreal”
- Which is why it makes sense that Apple has announced it’s expanding its offices in Seattle, where much of its AI and machine learning work is done.
- Last August, Apple even bought a Seattle-based machine learning and artificial intelligence startup named Turi for an estimated $200 million, and the team is said to be moving into Apple’s offices at Two Union Square as part of the expansion.
- Carlos Guestrin, a University of Washington professor, former Turi CEO, and now director of machine learning at Apple, told GeekWire: “There’s a great opportunity for AI in Seattle.”
- He added: “We’re trying to find the best people who are excited about AI and machine learning — excited about research and thinking long term but also bringing those ideas into products that impact and delight our customers.”
- As part of the news, the University of Washington also announced a $1 million endowed professorship in AI and machine learning named after Guesterin.
In many ways, the tech world’s AI arms race is really a fight for talent. Skilled engineers are in short supply, and Silicon Valley’s biggest companies are competing to nab the best minds from…
Continue reading “Apple is expanding its Seattle offices to focus on AI and machine learning”