- Today marks the end of Facebook’s transition period between their former phrase-based translation system and their new AI-driven neural machine translation (NMT) system.
- While Facebook is a bit behind the curve with this move (tech companies like Google and Microsoft have been using NMT since last year) this technology should result in a significant boost to translation accuracy for the social media giant.
- The issue with Facebook’s previous phrase-based translation system (and phrase-based systems on a whole) is that it wasn’t really capable of looking at entire sentences.
- However, AI translation technology is still far from perfect, and Facebook faces a unique set of problems when it comes to translating content on their site.
- For example, Facebook engineering manager Necip Fazil Ayan pointed out in an interview with TechCrunch that Facebook is a platform that sees a lot of slang, acronyms and other informal language, which would likely make it more difficult for an NMT system to automatically translate text across the entire platform.
Facebook translations haven't exactly been spot-on in the past, but that might change from here on out. Today marks the end of Facebook's transition period between their former phrase-based translation system and their new AI-driven neural machine translation (NMT) system.
Continue reading “Facebook is now exclusively using AI to translate posts and comments”
- Intel’s $80 Movidius Neural Compute Stick lets you plug some computing brains into your laptop’s USB port.
- The device, geared for tinkerers and programmers, can crank out 100 billion mathematical calculations per second while consuming a paltry 1 watt of power.
- That’s the kind of thing that can be handy if you’re trying to work out computer vision in your drone or help your cleaning robot tell the difference between a cat and a coffee table.
- Intel announced the device at the conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition on Thursday.
- Artificial intelligence — and more specifically a brain-like approach called neural networks to machine-learning technology — is sweeping the industry as a new way to do everything from recognize speech to identify what ingredients are in your lunch.
The $80 Movidius Neural Compute Stick is tuned for tinkerers and engineers who want to give neural network technology a whirl.
Continue reading “Intel Movidius Neural Compute Stick brings AI brains to USB port”
- It’s not surprising as conversations are at the heart of unlocking opportunities such as a new job, business lead or career advice.
- That’s why we’re rolling out an even smarter messaging experience with the ability to message a connection from wherever you may be on LinkedIn, along with suggestions that can help connect you to a new job.
- For example, you can have a conversation with a connection without ever leaving their profile, or reach out to someone directly from the LinkedIn Feed.
- In fact, nearly 50% of LinkedIn members have found a job through a mutual connection.
- For example, when looking at a job posting at a company you’re interested in we’ll show you which of your connections work there, or who can introduce you to someone at the company.
Did you know that 80% of LinkedIn members consider professional networking to be important to career success? It’s not surprising as conversations are at the heart of unlocking opportunities such as a new job, business lead or career advice.
Continue reading “Introducing a Smarter Way to Message and Build Meaningful Relationships on LinkedIn”
- Why Deep Learning is Radically Different From Machine Learning
- There is a lot of confusion these days about Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and Deep Learning (DL) the distinction is very clear to practitioners in these fields.
- Some ML practitioners who have had previous exposure to Neural Networks (ANN), after all it was invented in the early 60’s, would have the first impression that Deep Learning is nothing more than ANN with multiple layers.
- AI is the all encompassing umbrella that covers everything from Good Old Fashion AI (GOFAI) all the way to connectionist architectures like Deep Learning.
- Artificial Neural Networks is where the field of Deep Learning had its genesis from.
There is a lot of confusion these days about Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and Deep Learning (DL), yet the distinction is very clear to practitioners in these fields. Are you able to articulate the difference?
Continue reading “Why Deep Learning is Radically Different From Machine Learning”
- “The difference between successful people and very successful people is that very successful people say ‘no’ to almost everything.”
- Quote of the Day
- Warren Buffett
Read the full article, click here.
@Forbes: “Facebook’s new artificial intelligence can understand meaning behind posts”
Facebook has unveiled a new in-house artificial intelligence (AI) engine called ‘DeepText,’ built to understand the meaning and sentiment behind text on the social network.
Facebook’s New AI Engine Understands Text To Improve Messenger, Search And Curation