- Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence , whose motto is “AI for the common good.”
- New $27 million fund backs research into artificial intelligence for the public interest
- Amazon gives out 5,000 bananas a day in Seattle
- The fund’s backers said they would collaborate with existing AI research efforts, including an “AI Now” symposium scheduled for July 10 at MIT Media Lab.
- Amazon falls behind Disney, but beats Netflix, in study ranking millennials’ intimacy with brands
LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman and Omidyar Network are anchoring a newly formed $27 million fund to support research into the social impacts of AI.
Continue reading “New $27 million fund backs research into artificial intelligence for the public interest”
- Carnegie Mellon to open research center focused on AI ethics
- The K&L Gates Endowment for Ethics and Computational Technologies will support a senior professor and a junior professor, both in ethics and computational technologies.
- Carnegie Mellon University announced Wednesday that it’s receiving a $10 million endowment from global law firm K&L Gates LLP to establish a new research center focused on the ethics of artificial intelligence.
- The endowment will also support three doctoral students whose studies relate to the field of ethics and computational science and technology.
- In a statement, Carnegie Mellon President Subra Suresh said that it’s not just technology that will shape the next century. “
The university, which has ties to Google, Uber and other major tech firms, is receiving a $10 million endowment from global law firm.
Continue reading “Carnegie Mellon to open research center focused on AI ethics”
- Established to study and formulate best practices on AI technologies, to advance the public’s understanding of AI, and to serve as an open platform for discussion and engagement about AI and its influences on people and society.
- To advance public understanding and awareness of AI and its potential benefits and potential costs to act as a trusted and expert point of contact as questions/concerns arise from the public and others in the area of AI and to regularly update key constituents on the current state of AI progress.
- The engagement of AI users and developers, as well as representatives of industry sectors that may be impacted by AI (such as healthcare, financial services, transportation, commerce, manufacturing, telecommunications, and media) to support best practices in the research, development, and use of AI technology within specific domains.
- In support of the mission to benefit people and society, the Partnership on AI intends to conduct research, organize discussions, share insights, provide thought leadership, consult with relevant third parties, respond to questions from the public and media, and create educational material that advance the understanding of AI technologies including machine perception, learning, and automated reasoning.
- The regular engagement of experts across multiple disciplines (including but not limited to psychology, philosophy, economics, finance, sociology, public policy, and law) to discuss and provide guidance on emerging issues related to the impact of AI on society.
Established to study and formulate best practices on AI technologies, to advance the public’s understanding of AI, and to serve as an open platform for discussion and engagement about AI and its influences on people and society.
Continue reading “Partnership on Artificial Intelligence to Benefit People and Society”
- Terminator 2 took aim at the ethics of artificial intelligence
- Filed Under: Film, James Cameron, Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- James Cameron’s seminal summer blockbuster Terminator 2: Judgment Day turned 25 earlier this year.
- But in the big technological questions it raises, the film remains almost frighteningly relevant.
- This episode of Popcorn Politics, The A.V. Club ‘s collaboration with Scrappers Film Group , explores what T2 had to say about the ethics, dangers, and possible future of artificial intelligence-and how those issues continue to inspire debate in the scientific community.
Continue reading “Terminator 2 took aim at the ethics of artificial intelligence · Popcorn Politics · The A.V. Club”