- Unity, the most popular cross-platform game engine favored by video game developers, on Tuesday opened up its platform for machine learning researchers to test their algorithms.
- Reinforcement learning is a strand of machine learning that teaches agents to perform a specific task in a given environment.
- The platform, known as Unity Machine Learning Agents, includes additional features like the Agent Monitor class, which allows researchers to better understand how agents make decisions so that mistakes are easier to debug.
- Since Unity Engine and Editor are geared toward game development, it also makes it easier for machine learning researchers to construct scenarios or even create full games to use as testbeds for their reinforcement learning algorithms.
- But there is a slight tradeoff for having prettier graphics and more complex environments – it makes it more difficult for the algorithms to comprehend the play field, and requires more processing power from accelerators such as GPUs, so it’ll be more expensive to train agents.
Unity, the most popular cross-platform game engine favored by video game developers, on Tuesday opened up its platform for machine learning researchers to test their algorithms.
Continue reading “Top video game dev nerve-center Unity can now be used to train AI • The Register”