- Saudi Arabia has officially recognised a humanoid robot as a citizen, marking the first time in history that an AI device has been awarded such status.
- Sophia, an intelligent humanoid robot created by Hanson Robotics, announced the citizenship herself during a panel discussion at the Future Investment Initiative conference in Saudi Arabia.
- It is unclear whether she will receive the same rights as human citizens, or if Saudi Arabia will develop a specific system devoted to robots.
- But she appeared to swerve questions directed at robots’ self-awareness, and instead poked fun at comments made by Elon Musk that AI is a “fundamental risk to human civilisation”.
- Many in the design industry have already expressed concerns about the way humans and robots will live together.
Saudi Arabia has recognised a humanoid robot as a citizen of its country, marking the first time in history that an AI device has been awarded such status.
Continue reading “Saudi Arabia becomes first country to grant citizenship to a robot”
- I watched two robots go on stage at a tech event to “debate” the future of humanity with each other.
- The robots in question are Sophia and Han, and they belong to Hanson Robotics, a Hong Kong-based company that is developing and deploying artificial intelligence in humanoids.
- The event organizers claimed a world first for two robots talking on stage, and it isn’t difficult to imagine that it could become a more common sight in the this is just the start of Hanson Robotics’ ambitious plans.
- Company CEO and founder Dr David Hanson believes robots will become commonplace in homes and other aspects of our daily life within the next decade.
- “We’ve got these early uses but our aspiration is Data from Star Trek,” Hanson told TechCrunch on the sidelines of the event following the robot debate.
I got a glimpse into the future world of our robot overlords today. It was nervy at times. I watched two robots go on stage at a tech event to “debate” the..
Continue reading “I watched two robots chat together on stage at a tech event”
- Charlie Rose has had a storied career in journalism.
- Sit back and let the hottest tech news come to you by the magic of electronic mail.
- The interview detailed just how far we’ve come, and how far we’ve to come in the field of robotics.
- During the middle of the interview, Sophia told Charlie Rose she’d been ‘waiting for [him],’ before lowering the hammer on Rose’s heart with ‘not really, but it makes for a good pickup line.’
make our site easier for you to use.
We do also share that information with third parties for
advertising & analytics.
Continue reading “Humanoid robot ‘Sophia’ puts the moves on 60 Minutes correspondent Charlie Rose”