- You see, strong public support for research programs and world class expertise at Canadian universities has helped propel Canada to a position as leader in artificial intelligence and deep learning research and use.
- Canadian talent and ideas are in high demand around the world—but activity needs to remain in Canada to harness the benefits from artificial intelligence.
- So to retain and attract top academic talent, and to increase the number of post-graduate trainees and researchers studying artificial intelligence and deep learning, our latest budget proposes to provide $125 million to launch a Pan-Canadian Artificial Intelligence Strategy for research and talent.
- The Strategy will promote collaboration between Canada’s main centres of expertise in Montréal, Toronto-Waterloo and Edmonton and position Canada as a world-leading destination for companies seeking to invest in artificial intelligence and innovation.
- A leader in the area of artificial intelligence, the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research will be responsible for administering the funding for the new Strategy.
What is your stance on AI research given Canada’s privileged position in the field? originally appeared on Quora – the place to gain and share knowledge,…
Continue reading “What Canada is Doing to Retain Its Lead in Artificial Intelligence”
- The move comes on the heels of Uber’s acquisition of A.I. startup Geometric Intelligence for an undisclosed amount.
- Uber is no longer just dabbling in artificial intelligence – it’s going all in.
- With a $70 billion valuation, Uber is aggressively trying to prove that it’s no longer just a ride-sharing platform.
- Uber will absorb all of Geometric’s employees, including renowned machine learning researcher Zoubin Ghahramani and deep learning expert specializing in evolutionary algorithms Jeff Clune .
- Otto founder Lior Ron said he could improve the truck’s self-driving features using Uber’s driving data to build on its A.I. technology.
Uber bought AI startup Geometric Intelligence, further moving into artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Continue reading “Uber Just Bought a Startup You’ve Never Heard Of. Here’s Why That’s Important.”
- 9:00 AM Mossberg: The post-Jobs Apple has soared financially, but lacks a breakthrough product
- 8:10 AM Acer announces the thinnest and fattest laptops in the world
- 8:00 AM Lytro releases the first footage shot by its VR camera
- 1:45 PM the wristband turns your fingers into a phone
- 2:30 PM The $400 Moto Z Play could be Android’s new battery champion
Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Amazon have all done it — and now Baidu’s doing it, too. The Chinese tech giant has open sourced one of its key machine learning tools, PaddlePaddle, offering the…
Continue reading “Baidu follows US tech giants and open-sources its deep learning tools”