- However, to achieve high accuracy, the training sets need to be large, diverse, and accurately annotated, which is costly.
- An alternative to labelling huge amounts of data is to use synthetic images from a simulator.
- This is cheap as there is no labeling cost, but the synthetic images may not be realistic enough, resulting in poor generalization on real test images.
- We show that training models on these refined images leads to significant improvements in accuracy on various machine learning tasks.
- Read the article View the article “Improving the Realism of Synthetic Images”
Most successful examples of neural nets today are trained with supervision. However, to achieve high accuracy, the training sets need to be large, diverse, and accurately annotated, which is costly. An alternative to labelling huge amounts of data is to use synthetic images from a simulator. This is cheap as there is no labeling cost, but the synthetic images may not be realistic enough, resulting in poor generalization on real test images. To help close this performance gap, we’ve developed a method for refining synthetic images to make them look more realistic. We show that training models on these refined images leads to significant improvements in accuracy on various machine learning tasks.
Continue reading “Apple Machine Learning Journal”
- Image copyright
AlphaGo will challenge some of China’s top Go players later this month
Google has challenged China’s top Go player to a series of games against its artificial intelligence technology.It said the software would play a best-of-three match against Ke Jie, among other games against humans in the eastern Chinese city of Wuzhen from 23-27 May.Last year, the Google program recorded a 4-1 victory against one of South Korea’s top Go players.One expert said that result had come as a surprise.
- Image copyright
AlphaGo won four matches out of five against Lee Se-dol
Google’s AlphaGo software was developed by British computer company DeepMind, which was bought by the US search firm in 2014.
- Image copyright
Ke Jie – seen on the far right – met Google chief executive Sundar Pichai in Beijing last year
In addition to the games against Mr Ke, AlphaGo will also:
play games involving one Chinese pro facing off against another, each of whom will have an AlphaGo-powered virtual teammate
challenge a five-person team containing some of China’s top players, who will work together to try to beat the AI
Over the past year, DeepMind’s technology has also been used to find ways to reduce energy bills at Google’s data centres as well as to try to improve care in British hospitals.
- “If it loses this match, a lot of people will be delighted to claim that Google and DeepMind has overpromised and that this is the kind of hype we always get with AI,” commented Mr Chace.
- Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionA brief guide to Go
Go is thought to date back to several thousand years ago in China.Using black-and-white stones on a grid, players gain the upper hand by surrounding their opponent’s pieces with their own.The rules are simpler than those of chess, but a player typically has a choice of 200 moves, compared with about 20 in chess – there are more possible positions in Go than atoms in the universe, according to DeepMind’s team.That means a computer cannot win simply via brute force – searching through the consequences of millions of moves in seconds.It can be very difficult to determine who is winning, and many of the top human players rely on instinct.To prepare for its victory over Lee Se-dol, DeepMind trained its software on 30 million expert moves and then set the machine to play against itself millions of times to get a sense of what strategies worked.The result was that some of the innovative moves AlphaGo made in its landmark match were described as being “beautiful” and highly unusual by observers.
AlphaGo will soon challenge a Chinese teenager, recognised by many as the world’s top player.
Continue reading “Google’s AI seeks further Go glory”
- Adam also created Hemingway App, a tool that makes your writing clearer.
- Adam Long manages the process of creating and managing products for Automated Insights, including Wordsmith, the company’s platform for automating your writing.
- Join us for a conversation on how artificial intelligence will improve productivity, hiring practices, collaboration, and more.
- Amir Salihefendic is the CEO and founder of Doist, the software company responsible for Todoist, one of the world’s most popular productivity tools used by millions of people.
- Bastiaan Janmaat is the CEO and co-founder of DataFox, an artificial intelligence platform that provides sales, marketing, and investing teams with critical insights to find and win more business.
Join Automated Insights’ Director of Product Adam Long, Founder of Doist Amir Salihefendic, and CEO of Data Bastiaan Janmaat for a live discussion on how artificial intelligence will impact the way we work.
Continue reading “AI and the Future of Work YouTube Live”
- Amazon Rekognition Is An Image Recognition Service By Amazon
- According to Amazon’s CTO Werner Vogels, “Amazon Rekognition democratizes the application of deep learning technique for detecting objects, scenes, concepts, and faces in your images, comparing faces between two images, and performing search functionality across millions of facial feature vectors that your business can store with Amazon Rekognition.”
- Now it seems that Amazon wants in as well as they have announced Amazon Rekognition .
- As to who might be taking advantage of Amazon’s Rekognition service remains to be seen, as well as the various applications that it might be used for.
- 2016-11-28 Amazon To Start Cracking Down Harder On Counterfeit Products
One of the basic features of artificial intelligence (AI) is the ability to recognize images and process them. Companies like Microsoft and Google…
Continue reading “Amazon Rekognition Is An Image Recognition Service By Amazon”
- Amazon’s ‘Alexa Prize’ Will Give College Students Up To $2.5M To Create A Socialbot
- The winning team will receive $500,ooo, but Amazon will award students an additional $1 million if they successfully get their AI to speak with humans both “coherently and engagingly” for 20 minutes, according to Amazon.
- “A socialbot that can converse coherently for 20 minutes is unprecedented and at least five times more advanced than state-of-the-art conversational AI.
- The new challenge that gives college students the chance to advance conversational artificial intelligence (AI) by creating a socialbot that can chat with people about popular culture and news events.
- The student’s work through the Alexa challenge will “advance several areas of conversational AI including knowledge acquisition, natural language understanding, natural language generation, context modeling, commonsense reasoning, and dialog planning.”
Amazon announced the “Alexa Prize,” a new challenge for college students to create a “socialbot” to advance AI communication.
Continue reading “Amazon’s ‘Alexa Prize’ Will Give College Students Up To $2.5M To Create A Socialbot”
- New Bing APIs Now Available for Purchase – Search, Autosuggest, Spell Check
- The APIs tap into the same underlying Microsoft Cognitive Services that are part of the Cortana Intelligence Suite and bring intelligence into apps with high quality vision, speech, language, knowledge and search services.
- Developers worldwide can now build intelligent apps that have instant access to search technologies developed over decades of research at Microsoft.
- Starting today, the new Bing Search API portfolio is available for purchase as a Microsoft Azure Marketplace offering .
- Gain access to trending topics including news, images and videos.
Read the full article, click here.
@josephsirosh: “New #Bing APIs available for purchase: Search, Autosuggest, SpellCheck: #CortanaIntelligence”
Starting today, the new Bing Search API portfolio is available for purchase as a Microsoft Azure Marketplace offering. Developers worldwide can now build intelligent apps that have instant access to search technologies developed over decades of research at Microsoft.
New Bing APIs Now Available for Purchase – Search, Autosuggest, Spell Check