- Béhar says that while the robot can’t replace human interaction, it can offer a companion to elderly people living alone.
- Tech startup Intuition Robotics unveiled an artificial intelligence-based robot companion that aims to improve the quality of life of elderly people on Wednesday.
- AI Robot Companion Wants to Keep Old People Company
- ElliQ is an “active aging companion” aimed at making elderly people feel less lonely.
- “The idea of having a robot companion is quite dystopian, especially for older generations,” said Yves Béhar, CEO of Fuseproject-a design studio that collaborated with Intuition Robotics on the ElliQ.
The ElliQ is a voice-activated, AI-based companion for the elderly.
Continue reading “This robot ‘ageing companion’ is like an Alexa for the elderly”
- Measure the distance from the car to various obstacles.
- If a car moves into your lane, your car keeps its distance.
- Car is a Lexus model modified by Google.
- Displayed some self-driving cars in June.
- Uses parallax from multiple images to find the distance to various objects.
Uber and Google both made announcements this week that offer the latest signs that autonomous cars have arrived — and may be driving our city streets sooner than we think.
Continue reading “How Self-Driving Cars Work”
- Customers in the Seattle store can walk in, grab items and walk out.
- Amazon’s new store may be the future of easy
- Amazon announced its Amazon Go “just walk out” store on Dec. 5, 2016.
- The service is called Amazon Go.
- An Amazon Go app and sensors track everything the customer has taken, charging their Amazon account as they leave.
Customers in the Seattle store can walk in, grab items and walk out. No lines, no checkout.
Continue reading “Amazon’s new store may be the future of easy”
- Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters .
- Alphabet’s Google announced the formation of an artificial intelligence group for Google Cloud, the tech company’s latest gambit to increase its market share in the lucrative cloud computing business.
- Thomson Reuters is the world’s largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms.
- “What really attracted these two people to come and be in Google Cloud is a chance to democratize machine learning and artificial intelligence,” Greene said.
- Google says it will expand operations in London
Alphabet’s Google announced the formation of an artificial intelligence group for Google Cloud, the tech company’s latest gambit to increase its market share in the lucrative cloud computing business.
Continue reading “Google announces artificial intelligence group for Google Cloud”
International Business Machines Corp. showed off its artificial intelligence software as a foundation for programmers to build on, as it welcomed about 1,300 software developers to the first Watson Developer Conference in San Francisco.
Continue reading “IBM Courts Coders with Watson”
- An early computer rendering of Zoox’s Boz sports car, in which passengers face each other as the car drives itself.
- IHS Automotive has predicted that by 2025 there will be 300,000 self-driving cars and just as many driverless vehicles on the road; by 2030, there will be 2.2 million self-driving and driverless cars on the road; and by 2035, there will be 11 million self-driving and 10 million driverless vehicles in operation.
- is not a self-driving car any more than the automobile is a horseless carriage.
- As the auto industry races toward shipping fully autonomous vehicles, self-driving technology startups have become attractive acquisition targets for traditional automakers and others.
- Ford Motor Co. plans to begin mass producing a fully autonomous vehicle by 2021 that it will sell for ride-hailing markets such as Uber.
Zoox Labs, a two-year old Silicon Valley autonomous vehicle start-up, just raised another $50 million in investment funding, which skyrocketed the company’s market value to $1.5 billion even before it’s shipped a single car.
Continue reading “Self-driving car startup now valued at $1.5B”
- How Machine Learning Can Help Fight Off Cyber Attacks
- Stuart McClure, the CEO of security startup Cylance, told Fortune’s Robert Hackett that “there is nothing new” in how hackers are breaching computer defenses.
- Although cyber attacks against businesses like the recent one against Yahoo are increasing, hackers are using the same techniques they always have.
- McClure has worked with the federal government on cyber security issues to help repair the damage from a major 2015 hack on the Office of Personnel Management .
- By amassing large amounts of data and crunching it with machine learning algorithms, organizations could better recognize how hackers are trying to exploit their computer systems, and better protect themselves.
Cylance CEO Stuart McClure explains how machine learning algorithms can help prevent major cyber attacks.
Continue reading “Cylance CEO Discusses How Machine Learning Can Fight Cyber Attacks”