- Sharing our vision of the future, including advances in research and innovation.
- Our goal is to make our innovations accessible to as many people as possible.
- When technology starts with people and serves people, it makes progress.
- We also want to promote innovative and responsible uses of digital technologies – prudent innovation – that improve everyday life for everyone.
- Innovation and periods of rapid change have always raised questions.
Continue reading “Innovation endorsed by Orange: welcome to tomorrow’s world”
- Advancements in AI are creating new opportunities and long with it comes responsibilities.
- How can advancements in Artificial Intelligence benefit society?
- Join Salesforce Chief Scientist, Richard Socher and Nicola Morini Bianzino, Global Lead Artificial Intelligence at Accenture.
Advancements in AI are creating new opportunities and long with it comes responsibilities. How can advancements in Artificial Intelligence benefit society? W…
Continue reading “AI for a Better World”
- As inventors rush to create mind-blowing bits of kit that have the power to transform our daily lives forever, is there anyone out there pausing to think about the real impacts of technology on our lives, our psyches and our society?
- In the following TED talks, you’ll be able to navigate all the possibilities, and equip yourself with wisdom that will carry you through the changes.
- Apart from a paycheck, there are intangible values that, Barry Schwartz suggests, our current way of thinking about work simply ignores.
- Lisa Gansky, author of “The Mesh,” talks about a future of business that’s about sharing all kinds of stuff, either via smart and tech-enabled rental or, more boldly, peer-to-peer.
- In this talk about the future of work, economist David Autor addresses the question of why there are still so many jobs and comes up with a surprising, hopeful answer.
5 TED talks for anyone interested in the changing work landscape
Continue reading “Spotlight”
- But the transformational nature of artificial intelligence requires new metrics of success for our profession.
- This year alone at least 1 billion people will be touched in some way by artificial intelligence, which is transforming everything from financial services to transportation, energy, education and retail.
- And why IBM is a founding member of the Partnership on AI, a collaboration among Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple and many scientific and nonprofit organizations charged with guiding the development of artificial intelligence to the benefit of society.
- Opportunity: Developers of AI applications should accept the responsibility of enabling students, workers and citizens to take advantage of every opportunity in the new economy powered by cognitive systems.
- They should help them acquire the skills and knowledge to engage safely, securely and effectively in a relationship with cognitive systems, and to perform the new kinds of work and jobs that will emerge in a cognitive economy.
By Guru Banavar, IBM’s Chief Science Officer for Cognitive Computing
I am a computer scientist and engineer, inspired by the art of the possible an…
Continue reading “The Science of AI and the Art of Social Responsibility”
- Apple couldn’t miss out on this opportunity if it wants to hire some of the best AI engineers.
- Apple aims to up its AI smarts with iCloud user data in iOS 10.3
- The Partnership on AI could also be a great lobbying tool, proving that tech companies are acting responsibly.
- The Partnership on AI was officially unveiled back in September 2016 .
- While the Partnership on AI has to clarify its areas of work, you can expect to see research papers on AI.
Following Bloomberg’s report, the Partnership on AI to Benefit People and Society (what a name) officially announced that Apple is joining other tech..
Continue reading “Apple joins Amazon, Facebook, Google, IBM and Microsoft in AI initiative”
- ‘There’s an urgency to ensure that AI benefits society and minimises harm,’ said LinkedIn founder Hoffman.
- LinkedIn and eBay founders Reid Hoffman and Pierre Omidyar donate $10m each to the Ethics and Governance of Artificial Intelligence Fund
- The fund is one of many new bodies aimed at shaping the future of AI in a positive – or, at least, thoughtful – direction.
- The founders of LinkedIn and eBay are donating a combined $20m (£16.4m) to fund academic research aimed at ensuring the safety of artificial intelligences.
- LinkedIn’s founder Reid Hoffman and the Omidyar network, the philanthropic investment firm set up by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, are donating $10m each to the Ethics and Governance of Artificial Intelligence Fund, which will distribute money to researchers working on the tough ethical problems raised by AI.
Reid Hoffman and Pierre Omidyar are donating $10m each to the Ethics and Governance of Artificial Intelligence Fund, to help tackle ethical problems of AI
Continue reading “Tech billionaires donate $20m to fund set up to protect society from AI”
- Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence , whose motto is “AI for the common good.”
- New $27 million fund backs research into artificial intelligence for the public interest
- Amazon gives out 5,000 bananas a day in Seattle
- The fund’s backers said they would collaborate with existing AI research efforts, including an “AI Now” symposium scheduled for July 10 at MIT Media Lab.
- Amazon falls behind Disney, but beats Netflix, in study ranking millennials’ intimacy with brands
LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman and Omidyar Network are anchoring a newly formed $27 million fund to support research into the social impacts of AI.
Continue reading “New $27 million fund backs research into artificial intelligence for the public interest”