- We look for the model that minimizes a combination of prediction error and model simplicity.
- Many more machine learning algorithms can be described as optimization algorithms, see for instance thi s ni ce p rese ntat io n from Stephen Wright.
- Some say that Machine Learning should be called Statistical Machine Learning .
- I care because I got a PhD in Machine Learning in 1990.
- A machine learning algorithms selects among a family of possible models the model that minimizes the prediction error.
What has changed in Machine Learning in the past 25 years? You may not care about this question. You may even not realize that Machine Learning as a technical and scientific field is older than 25 years. But I do care about this question. I care because I got a PhD in Machine Learning in 1990. I then moved sidetrack to work on constraint programming and mathematical optimization. I am back to machine learning since a couple of years, and I did ask myself this: is my PhD still relevant, or has Machine Learning changed so much that I need to learn it again from scratch? To cut a long story short: yes…
Continue reading “What’s New In Machine Learning? (IT Best Kept Secret Is Optimization)”